Our history2020-04-30T21:52:11+02:00

OUR HISTORY
HOW IT ALL BEGAN

History of the olive grove of the Monticello Caprioli Farm, a large hill planted with olive trees located between the town of Cervino and Messercola, in the Municipality of Cervino.

Antonio di Borbone Conte di Lecce

The olive grove of the Monticello Caprioli Farm is described in detail in the historical document of the Bourbon Royal House called “Platea dello Stato di Caserta del 1828 di A. Sancio“.

The passion of the Bourbon Royals for hunting, had favored the rise in Campania of numerous sites that Charles III of Bourbon and Ferdinand IV used mostly for the “Royal Delights” (hunting and fishing). The royals considered the hunting exercise as a relief of the soul and a strengthening of the body to better support “the serious care of the government of the Vassalli”. As evidence of the hunting activity of the Bourbons in the first half of 500, Giovanni Nicola della Ratta, feudatory of Durazzano, built two houses, one intended as a dwelling and the other as a shelter for animals and servants. These were located in a small village the King crossed while going from Royal Palace of Caserta to Benevento.

This small village took its name from its builder: Village of Messercola.

Antonio di Borbone (1816 1843), Prince of the Two Sicilies, Count of Lecce, Son of King Francis and Maria Isabella of Spain, brother of Ferdinando ll King of the Two Sicilies, bought the company in 1827 from Duke Carafa of Benevento.

A vast hill planted with olive trees and is placed between the town of Cervino and Messercola in a rather inclined plane in the territory of the Municipality of Cervino.” Walking, we can meet the same olive trees, “Piantoni Centenari” with their thick silvery foliage and the large winding and often decayed trunks that distinguish our colorful and inimitable hill. These characteristics give it an exclusive landscape beauty, so as to attract the attention of even experienced photographers.

So the olive groves of the Monticello Caprioli Farm are located between the town of Cervino and the then Royal Site of Bourbon hunting – Borgo di Messercola – Cervino in the province of Caserta, right at the beginning of the Caudina Valley, theater of the humiliating episode of the Forche Caudine suffered by the Roman army in 321 BC.

The land extends for about 10 hectares, with arrangement of typical terraced bands at times stony as in Liguria, the altitude is between 150 and 250 meters above sea level and the climate is mild. The main variety of olives is the “ASPRINIA” or “SPRINIA” whose olive is very similar to the Ligurian “TAGGIASCA“. It is also present on the Amalfi Coast, particularly in the area of Ravello and on the islands of Ischia and Capri. In addition to Sprinia there are also other varieties such as the “ORGIA“, the “OLIVASTRA“, the “BARESE” and also other varieties not surveyed.

Gianfranco d’Angelo and his son Benedetto, both nature lovers, ensure a great deal of attention to cultivation practices, adding passion and a great courage to continue to cultivate the olive trees among these stones, althought the roughness of the land. With great difficulty their production is based on soil, protecting the loss of it and of rainwater throught small basins and organic fertilization, Biological pest control and pruning treatments, while respecting the structure and physical, chemical and biological properties of the soil.

The Monticello Caprioli Farm is also geographically 10 kilometres far from the Royal Palace of Caserta and 20 kilometres far from Vesuvius and the Bay of Capri.

January 1827

Go to Top